Re: different version numbers?

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:13:56PM -0500, Paul Elliott wrote:

> What is the relationship, if any, between the version number of the source
> pachage and the version number of a library, which has to do with SONAME.
> What do these have to do with PACKAGE_VERSION in autotools?
> My up stream, has version number associated with his source tarballs,
> that have nothing to do with debian or Linux, because he does not develop
> with Linux in mind. All though he does build a Linux static library.

As library packaging is generally regarded as a difficult task, a very
good guide at

is a recommended reading. That guide contains also very clear
background information on the various version numbering systems
possibly involved.

Best regards,

Filippo Rusconi, PhD - public crypto key C78F687C @ pgp.mit.edu
Researcher at CNRS and Debian Developer <lopippo@debian.org>