Re: RFS: libzeep

On 2011-01-17 12:18, Maarten L. Hekkelman wrote:
> Op 15-01-11 23:13, Niels Thykier schreef:
>
>>    I messed around a bit and the library appears to build just fine with
>> - --no-add-needed (and --no-undefined), so it appears to be properly
>> linked.
>
> Today I found out something is still wrong, when I tried to link to the
> libzeep.a file the linker was not able to find the symbols. Trying to
> get rid of the lintian error: 'unstripped-binary-or-object
> ./usr/lib/libzeep.a' I clearly stripped too many symbols. However, using
>
>     strip --strip-unneeded
>
> is not enough to keep lintian happy. What is going on here? I tried
> rebuilding the static library without the -fPIC flag but that made no
> difference (to lintian). (I now also understand I'm supposed to do that
> anyway, using -fPIC for shared libraries only I mean).
>
> What symbols does lintian check for, and how am I supposed to get rid of
> those (if that's at all possible?).
>
> For the record, I'm linking the shared library using the 'ld -r'
> command, so I'm not using 'ar' or 'ranlib'.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -maarten

Hey

Libraries are always a heap of fun!  I have not had this particular
problem before, though I checked lintian and it checks for the following.

If the output of "file library" contains "not stripped".  If it does not
match that, Lintian further checks for the presence of some unneeded
sections (particularly ".comment" and ".note").

~Niels