Re: RFS: xpdf (updated package)

Hi there.

On Jun 20 2010, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> I would be very appreciative if anyone has the time to review and
> sponsor this package.  See new version at:
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xpdf

I just got time for a mini-review.

* Nice that you added credits to me for a patch;

* Would you consider including the latest versin of the zooming patch
  that I sent you?

* debian/compat is 5, but you build-depend on debhelper 7.

* the long description of the xpdf *binary* package mentions that it is
  only for compatibility and that it can be safely removed. That's not the
  case anymore.

* does xpdf *really* provide a postscript-preview virtual package?

* not that it matters much, but xpdf-{common,reader,utils} could be made
  arch all instead of arch any.

* minor thing: there are some ugly spaces before commas in some of the
  relationship fields.

* minor thing: since we are not shipping a library, there isn't a very
  strict requirement of the transitional binary packages be steplocked
  with the main binary. Therefore, the binary:Version substitution
  variable could be relaxed to source:Version (there won't be a problem
  with binNMU's).

  If the packages are converted to arch all instead of any, then this
  need becomes even lower.

* Your override_dh_auto_build target of debian/rules doesn't seem to
  respect the linking time flags.

  Could you add something like $(LDFLAGS) to the final compilation?

* does xpdf.postint still needs to have the code for backwards
  compatibility with xpdf 2.01-1?

* it would be so darned nice if zxpdf handled:
  + xz compressed files.
  + pdf files with case-insensitive extensions, as, sometimes, .Pdf
    files are seen in the wild.

>From the functional side of the package, though, it looks sane.

Regards,

--