Re: RFS: xpdf (updated package)

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 04:05:21PM -0400, Michael Gilbert wrote:
> I can't say anything definitive, but I can speculate that it will
> not be a problem, and here is the logic:
>
> xpdf's rendering code is itself essentially an older version of
> poppler.  I doubt the poppler developers have intentionally made that
> code itself any slower, and it was possible to interface xpdf to
> poppler without a significant rewrite (a couple minor few-line patches
> and a bunch of variable renaming that doesn't have any impact). Hence
> any performance differences to be found between evince and xpdf will
> reside in the non-poppler code.  Restated; even with switch to poppler,
> the original xpdf zoom/display logic remains, and that will be the
> primary driving factor for performance.
>
> But even so, it should be tested.

BTW, where did you get it from that my main concerns are about speed?
You seem to be focused only on this. Actually, my point was quite the
contrary, please re-read my mails.

We already have a poppler-based viewer which is reasonably fast - it
is evince, but unfortunately it does not work enough well with every
possible pdf file (often crashes). On the other hand, xpdf opens all
files without any problems, but can be a bit slower in scrolling
sometimes. The last is not a problem. I am simply afraid that with
your change xpdf will follow evince's path and there will be no
reliable pdf viewer in the repository anymore.

--
Stanislav