Re: RFS: xpdf (updated package)

On Sat, 5 Jun 2010 21:34:13 +0200 Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

> Le samedi 05 juin 2010, Michael Gilbert a écrit :
> > If you can pinpoint some example files that crash evince but work fine
> > in xpdf, I will test them.  So far, I have not encountered any issues
> > myself. Gentoo has been shipping xpdf-poppler for a few years now, and I
> > haven't seen any complaints of your nature there (although I have not
> > done an exhaustive search).
>
> I never saw any file that made Evince crash, but I saw some files that
> Xpdf renders perfectly and where Evince does not display at all some
> fonts. For instance the LaTeX fontspec package's documentation, that you
> can find at <http://tanguy.ortolo.eu/tmp/fontspec.pdf>.
>
> I have often used Xpdf as a fallback when Evince was unable to correctly
> display a file. Making them use the same renderer would just leave me
> completely unable to read those files, so if it happens, I would try
> very hard to keep an old version of Xpdf as long as I can. :-/

I just tested fontspec.pdf, which revealed a couple issues with the
xpdfrc file and language resources, which I've now fixed.  I also
believe this fixes the Japanese language problem that Charles Plessy
encountered.  I've uploaded a new version to mentors for testing/review:

http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xpdf

I would be very appreciative if someone were able to review and sponsor
this package.  I think it is rather important to get a supportable xpdf
shipped with squeeze :)

Thanks,
Mike