Re: RFS: xpdf (updated package)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 16:44:24 +0900 Charles Plessy wrote:

> Le Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:33:21AM +0400, Stanislav Maslovski a écrit :
> >
> > The reason of my question is that there are several pdf viewers in the
> > repository based on poppler. One of them is evince which often crashes
> > on large pdf files. In these cases xpdf was an
> > old-and-slow-but-always-working solution.
>
> Dear Michael,
>
> I share the same worries: evince still does not manage to pick up japanese
> fonts for some documents, while currently xpdf does. However, with the 3.02-3
> update that you propose, it can not anymore…

Hi,

Note that the poppler-data package has a newer version of Adobe's
Japanese cMap, which probably introduced this problem.  Some things you
may want to take a look at:

1.  According to their NEWS file, some cMap resources were dropped in
version 0.4; which may include stuff needed by your pdfs.  You may want
to try restoring those.

2.  As another option, you may want to try replacing the cMap data
in /usr/share/poppler/cMap/Adobe-Japan1 with that provided by the
xpdf-japanese package.

3.  Also, there is a (mostly empty) Adobe-Japan2 cMap there, which may
be getting used by default, and that would probably be wrong.

Anyway, this seems more like a bug in poppler-data and should be
reported there.

In terms of xpdf performance, can those concerned please try files that
they consider big with the poppler-ized version and compare that to the
original xpdf so we can actually quantify the impact (if there even is
one).  Speculating doesn't really get us anywhere.  We need a
quantified impact.

Again, I want to upload this package to experemental first for testing
purposes; and large file handling would be a very good set of tests.

Best wishes,
Mike