Re: Possible trimming of build dependencies

On Sun, 16 May 2010 20:51:45 +0300
George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:

> Tony Houghton writes:
> > On Sun, 16 May 2010 19:38:59 +0300
> >
> > George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> > > Also, it seems to me that build-depending on xsltproc && docbook-xsl &&
> > > docbook-xml would not extremely trim the bits to be pulled as compared to
> > > those pulled in the xmlto case, so don't expect big wins here ;-)
> >
> > AFAICT the above trio don't depend on the (la)tex packages that xmlto
> > does, and they take a long time to install.
>
> Well, xmlto does not pull any latex packages AFAICS, and my cowbuilder --login
> test says dice wrt build-dependencies drag:
>
> # apt-get install xmlto
> Need to get 468kB/3592kB of archives.
> After this operation, 20.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
>
> # apt-get install xsltproc docbook-xsl docbook-xml
> Need to get 345kB/3469kB of archives.
> After this operation, 20.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

Looks like you're right. I uninstalled a load of tex packages and tried
apt-get build-dep roxterm again and it didn't want to install anything
beyond xmlto. But I'm sure when I ran apt-get build-dep roxterm recently
it downloaded lots of tex packages, and there are no other likely
looking candidates. Perhaps those dependencies have been removed from
xmlto (or moved to Suggests: by the look of it). And it might have been
on one of the Ubuntu machines I sometimes use.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk