Re: Possible trimming of build dependencies

Jakub Wilk writes:

Hi,

> * Tony Houghton <h@realh.co.uk>, 2010-05-16, 16:06:
> >>            override_dh_auto_build:
> >>                    xsltproc --nonet \
> >>
> >>                     --param make.year.ranges 1 \
> >>                     --param make.single.year.ranges 1 \
> >>                     --param man.charmap.use.subset 0 \
> >>                     -o debian/ \
> >>
> >>              http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages
> >>              /docbook.xsl \
> >>
> >>                    debian/gentoo.1.xml
> >>                    dh_auto_build
> >
> >What do those --param options do?
>
> make.year.ranges and make.single.year.ranges affect how consequent
> <year> elements are rendered; when you turn them on, you'll get:
> "Copyright © 2039-2042 J. Random Hacker"
> istead of
> "Copyright © 2039, 2040, 2041, 2042 J. Random Hacker"
>
> DocBook XSLs can convert ca. 800 Unicode character into roff sequences.
> However, for efficiency reasons, only a small subset of these character
> is used by default. AFAIR this subset doesn't include e.g. the copyright
> sign, so man.charmap.use.subset=0 is needed to make the conversion sane.

Tony,

JFTR: for complete parameters reference, see one of docbook-xsl-doc packages,
say the -html:
file:/usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl-doc-
html/doc/manpages/man.charmap.use.subset.html

As a reference, cppcheck package does:
xsltproc -''-nonet -''-param man.charmap.use.subset "0" \
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/xsl/nwalsh/manpages/docbook.xsl
man/cppcheck.1.xml

(which reminds me that /share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/ should be changed
to /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/docbook-xsl/)

Also, it seems to me that build-depending on xsltproc && docbook-xsl &&
docbook-xml would not extremely trim the bits to be pulled as compared to
those pulled in the xmlto case, so don't expect big wins here ;-)

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>