Re: Possible trimming of build dependencies

Tony Houghton writes:
> On Sun, 16 May 2010 20:51:45 +0300
>
> George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> wrote:
> > Tony Houghton writes:

> > > AFAICT the above trio don't depend on the (la)tex packages that xmlto
> > > does, and they take a long time to install.
> >
> > Well, xmlto does not pull any latex packages AFAICS, and my cowbuilder
> > --login test says dice wrt build-dependencies drag:
> >
> > # apt-get install xmlto
> > Need to get 468kB/3592kB of archives.
> > After this operation, 20.6MB of additional disk space will be used.
> > Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
> >
> > # apt-get install xsltproc docbook-xsl docbook-xml
> > Need to get 345kB/3469kB of archives.
> > After this operation, 20.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
> > Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
>
> Looks like you're right.

Yeah, I was, but Jakub changed the rules: xsltproc --novalid and no docbook-
xml is to be dragged. See, the rest of mails in that thread.

> I uninstalled a load of tex packages and tried
> apt-get build-dep roxterm again and it didn't want to install anything
> beyond xmlto. But I'm sure when I ran apt-get build-dep roxterm recently
> it downloaded lots of tex packages, and there are no other likely
> looking candidates. Perhaps those dependencies have been removed from
> xmlto (or moved to Suggests: by the look of it). And it might have been
> on one of the Ubuntu machines I sometimes use.

Ahem, I see, mistakes happen, thus clean chroots (and note to myself: clean
apt caches;-) are to be used for such tweaking. In fact, other packages'
{Build-}dependencies change over time, it is pretty common since new versions
are uploaded, improvements are introduced, etc, so we always check when we
need to. To be honest, xmlto's own dependencies (in Debian unstable) look sane
to me, so you might be witnessed some transient inefficiency which has been
subsequently corrected lately.

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>