Re: Use, "Depends: locales-all|locales" or not

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 04:43:28PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> echo 'locales locales/locales_to_be_generated multiselect en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8' \
>>     | debconf-set-selections
>> aptitude install locales

> I thought manual configuration of build environment should not be
> done... Am I wrong?

Well, it increases the chance that your package will not fail in your
local build environment but fail for some other reason on the buildds.
None of my packages need locales, though, so I'm not too worried about
it.  But this may be more of a "you should know what you're doing before
you do this" thing.

I did this originally because I set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 and was tired of
the constant error messages from Perl in the cowbuilder chroot.  I suppose
setting LC_ALL=C for builds would have also worked around that problem,
but I'm more concerned about that hiding build failures than I am about
installing locales.  Forcing LC_ALL=C will hide build system bugs where
the build system relies on a C sort order, for instance.

> I usually add package dependency to "locales-all|locales".  Then
> pbuilder nor any build environment should not fail.

The package itself doesn't depend on locales in this case, though.

The problem is that Lintian depends on locales, but it doesn't just depend
on the locales package.  Having locales installed doesn't help.  Lintian
specifically depends on having a UTF-8 locale available.

The best solution is to do something that ensures a C.UTF-8 locale is
always available.  This would also help other problems in Debian.

Absent that, we're considering adding some sort of ugly hack to Lintian to
force the locales package to generate a UTF-8 locale if one isn't already
available.  Unfortunately, there's no straightforward way to do that in
Debian without doing things that are kind of questionable.