C.UTF-8 : udeb exist :-)

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:50:23AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:
> > On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 04:43:28PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I usually add package dependency to "locales-all|locales".  Then
> > pbuilder nor any build environment should not fail.
>
> The package itself doesn't depend on locales in this case, though.

I see.

> The problem is that Lintian depends on locales, but it doesn't just depend
> on the locales package.

I see.

> Having locales installed doesn't help.  Lintian specifically depends
> on having a UTF-8 locale available.

So easiest solution is to make Lintian depend on "locales-all" instead
of "locales".  Ubuntu folks need to patch this back to "locales".

To some extent it is excessive dependency, though.

> The best solution is to do something that ensures a C.UTF-8 locale is
> always available.  This would also help other problems in Debian.

I vaguely remember d-i folks talked about using something like this for d-i.

> Absent that, we're considering adding some sort of ugly hack to Lintian to
> force the locales package to generate a UTF-8 locale if one isn't already
> available.  Unfortunately, there's no straightforward way to do that in
> Debian without doing things that are kind of questionable.

If you do this as others replied, I guess it works and is the best.

But as for C.UTF-8, with some googling, I found udeb for C.UTF-8:

  http://packages.debian.org/sid/installation-locale

This may help inplimenting this for lintian.

Osamu

PS: Do not ask me what is the difference between en_US.UTF-8 and C.UTF-8.