Re: dh_installinit: what to do if upstream provides a initscript?

Darshaka Pathirana <dpat@syn-net.org> writes:

> I have the following situation:

> I have a "upstream"-package which provides an init.d-script.

> dh_installinit(1) states:
> ,----
> | If a file named debian/package.init exists, then it is installed into
> | etc/init.d/package in the package build directory, with "package"
> | replaced by the package name.
> `----

> So here the simple question (for which I could not find a simple
> answer):

> What to do if upstream already provides an init-script? Am I supposed
> to copy the init-script into the debian directory or is there a better
> solution to avoid double-handling the file?

dh_installinit will just do the maintainer script modifications if there
is no package.init file.  You can use whatever other mechanism works (such
as the upstream make install rule, if it does the right thing) to install
the init script into the Debian packaging area.