Re: Use, "Depends: locales-all|locales" or not

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:50:23AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> The package itself doesn't depend on locales in this case, though.
>
> The problem is that Lintian depends on locales, but it doesn't just depend
> on the locales package.  Having locales installed doesn't help.  Lintian
> specifically depends on having a UTF-8 locale available.
>
> The best solution is to do something that ensures a C.UTF-8 locale is
> always available.  This would also help other problems in Debian.

You could add a check such as

  if (strcmp(nl_langinfo(CODESET), "UTF-8") && // This one is sufficient on Debian
      strcmp(nl_langinfo(CODESET), "UTF8") &&
      strcmp(nl_langinfo(CODESET), "utf-8") &&
      strcmp(nl_langinfo(CODESET), "utf8"))
  {
     // Not in a UTF-8 locale, so some tests may not be correct
  }

which would allow lintian to detect that some of its tests may
produce incorrect results.

> Absent that, we're considering adding some sort of ugly hack to Lintian to
> force the locales package to generate a UTF-8 locale if one isn't already
> available.  Unfortunately, there's no straightforward way to do that in
> Debian without doing things that are kind of questionable.

You are free to call localedef and place the generated locale in a
temporary directory, then use that.  Is that too ugly?

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh