Re: flow of things rules/debhelper

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> But are you sure this holds for dh_auto_build.  If buildd only install
> Build-Depends and dh_auto_build initiate doc building using latex listed in
> -indep, then we are in trouble.  As I understand, it usually run $(MAKE) for
> any case.  So if doc package needs latex-thingy in Build-Depends-indep,
> override_dh_auto_build needs to take care -i and -a issue providing separate
> target to $(MAKE) = dh_auto_build as:

dh_auto_build doesn't do something "per binary package", it does something
once for the whole source package. So I don't understand what you really
expect here.

And it's a know limitation of dpkg-buildpackage that we have only
"debian/rules build" when we should have build-arch and build-indep just
like for binary.

Currently Build-Depends needs to list the dependencies for the full build,
independently of whether or not we are using debhelper.

> override_dh_auto_build:
>         ifneq (,$(findstring one-for-arch, $(shell dh_listpackages)))
>         dh_auto_build -- build-one-for-arch
> endif
>         ifneq (,$(findstring one-for-doc, $(shell dh_listpackages)))
>         dh_auto_build -- build-doc
> endif
>
> We can not use conditional on DH_INTERNAL_OPTIONS here to change behavior of
> override_dh_foo.  This is because, debhelper maintainer Joey Hess told me so.
> He specifically pointed to this dh_listpackages.

Right, this is still a very specific corner case that is not worth
documenting in the maint-guide that targets beginners.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Like what I do? Sponsor me: http://ouaza.com/wp/2010/01/05/5-years-of-freexian/