Re: flow of things rules/debhelper (still confused)

Guys,
I am still confused about my initial question when which binary-*
target in debian/rules is called.

This also concerns:
- http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dreq.en.html#s-rules
- http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-debianrules
which seem to be out of sync. The policy e.g. still refers to the
patch target whereas in the NMG it is not mentioned. Maybe one should
remove that section from NMG altogether and just leave the reference
to the policy manual (it had better be in one place only and should be
up-to-date).

<sidenote>
<pedantic>
While reading the NMG I see
"build: ... pre-build configuration"
"binary: ... all that is necessary for the user to build the binary
package(s) ..."
When I translate this to the usual things to be done for getting a
software installed, we have
build   <-> ./configure
binary  <-> make
install <-> make install
Why not give this as an example?
Talking about "building" everywhere and not showing what this means
just confuses the beginner. (Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong
documentations.)
</pedantic>
</sidenote>

But back to topic: my main motivation here is to find out about the
binary, binary-arch, binary-indep targets, when they are called, and
where this is documented.

JM