Re: flow of things rules/debhelper

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> What is needed is documentation on dh_listpackages and its usage to sort
> out binary-indep and binary-arch difference for override commands.
>
> Otherwise, buildd may fail if they only install Build-Depends: (I vaguely
> remember, they install Build-Depends-Indep: too.  But you never know.)

I think you are confusing issues here. For override commands, the -i and
-a options of debhelper are implicitly passed through the environment
variable DH_INTERNAL_OPTIONS, that't the only difference I know between
overrides targets called in binary-indep vs binary-arch.

buildd only install Build-Depends but they also build packages with
"dpkg-buildpackage -B" so that they call "debian/rules binary-arch"
(and not binary or binary-indep). So everything is fine on that regard
AFAIK.

The hack using dh_listpackages that you quote might not even be needed
nowadays. If a commands receives -p<package> and has contradictory options
in DH_INTERNAL_OPTIONS, it will do nothing just like expected:
┏rivendell:~/tmp/circuslinux-1.0.3
┗(522)$ DH_INTERNAL_OPTIONS="-i" dh_listpackages -pcircuslinux
dh_listpackages: No packages to build.
┏rivendell:~/tmp/circuslinux-1.0.3
┗(523)$ DH_INTERNAL_OPTIONS="-a" dh_listpackages -pcircuslinux
circuslinux
┏rivendell:~/tmp/circuslinux-1.0.3
┗(524)$ dh_listpackages
circuslinux