Re: flow of things rules/debhelper

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 02:37:41AM +0200, jmroth+deb@iip.lu wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> today, I have a question regarding the maintainers guide, which says:

You must be reading one from squeeze or subversion one which is enen
newer.

> "fakeroot debian/rules binary" runs "fakeroot dh binary" which in turn
> runs "fakeroot dh binary-arch" and "fakeroot dh binary-indep"...
>
> It does indeed work that way, but hadn't it better be:
>
> "debian/rules binary" -> "dh binary" -> "debian/rules binary-arch" ->
> "dh binary-arch" ...

I do not get your point.
  Are you suggesting dropping fakeroot?
     (Why?  Without fakeroot, command can not be run.)
  Are you suggesting to call "debian/rules binary-arch"
     (This is too pedantic and I am not sure it actually do this.)

Situation is:

debian/rules binary

       +---> "dh binary"

                   +-------+--> dh binary-arch

                           +--> dh binary-indep

If there is a good way to express following in English:

"fakeroot debian/rules binary" runs "fakeroot dh binary" which in turn
runs ( "fakeroot dh binary-arch" and "fakeroot dh binary-indep" )

By reading folowing text should have made it clear:

 The commands listed below are run twice, once with the "-a" option (in
 binary-arch) and once with the "-i" option (in binary-indep):

> I'm asking because in the first case, the binary-indep target in
> debian/rules is never called (even for my "Architecture: all"
> package).

Your way of punctuation understaning makes this.  But that was not my or
Rapael's intent.  I added ";" to make them clearer.  Wait for 4 hours or so.

"fakeroot debian/rules binary" runs "fakeroot dh binary"; which in turn
runs "fakeroot dh binary-arch" and "fakeroot dh binary-indep".

> Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding something and this target
> is deprecated and/or should simply not be used at all?

I do not understand.  What is deprecated.

> While we're at it, I got a second question: is it normal that building
> a package using .orig.tar.bz2s in Lenny is not supported? AFAIS
> building a source format 3.0 (quilt) package works flawlessly except
> for this.

As described in the Chapter 1, this is updated to squeeze.
Please install backported packages. (I added footnote.)

Osamu