Re: RFS: alien-arena (updated package)

Michael Gilbert schrieb:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:27:32 +0100 Patrick Matthäi wrote:

>> Michael Gilbert schrieb:

>>> I think I have a working solution, which is up on mentors now.
>>> I'm able to start from all 7.0 packages, then using
>>>
>>>   dpkg -i alien-arena_7.33*.deb alien-arena-data_7.33*.deb
>>>        alien-arena-common_7.33*.deb
>>>
>>> does a successful upgrade.  It only required a 'Replaces: alien-arena'
>>> in alien-arena-common's part of the control file.  Please review.
>> It should replace alien-arena in version << 7.33. Without any specific
>> versioning, it would mean, that alien-arena-common replaces alien-arena
>> at all.
>
>>From reading the devel docs, I interpret 'Replaces' giving another
> package permission to overwrite files from another package (where
> normally that would of course be disallowed).  It doesn't actually mean
> that one package replaces the other package.
>
>>From that perspective, versioning won't actually do anything since the
> new alien-arena package doesn't have the files that are now located in
> alien-arena-common.

But you won't replace the package at all, just specific versions and not
the future ones.
Also you won't see errors, where you packaged the same file in both
packages.

- --
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,
 Patrick Matthäi
 GNU/Linux Debian Developer

E-Mail: pmatthaei@debian.org
        patrick@linux-dev.org