Re: RFS: gip (updated package, adopting, 2nd try)

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 04:58:19PM +0200, Ignace Mouzannar wrote:
> > Good to see some adoptions from time to time. :) Do you use gip
> > regularly or is it just general interest in Gnome packages?
>
> I can't say that I use gip on a daily basis, but I used it a couple of
> times. So I decided to take a look at the source package, and I ended
> up ITA-ing it.

I was basially checking if doing this for fun or for a reason. Nothing
against fun, just doing something for a reason helps keeping up with the
reponsibilities sometimes.

> > You could however simplify debian/rules by using dh7 features. You
> > switched to dh7 without the big benefits. What would you say?
>
> I have updated the debian/rules. I would be glad to have your feedback on this.

Well, you achieved to have a smaller debian/rules already (which is not
our goal, but readability for instance is). It seems to me you either
have a misunderstanding of the override_* targets or you're being overly
carefull. There is no need for dh_testdir (and absolutely no sense in
dh_prep) in such targets as they are by definition run during a dh
sequence which always includes such commands if neccessary.

The other targets...

> > Regarding the patches (didn't look at them closely yet): do you prefer
> > dpatch over quilt or do you just keep what former maintainers used? I'm
> > asking because quilt could be used more easily if you used dh7 features
> > (sqeuencing).
>
> I usually use dpatch. But I could update the patches to use quilt instead.

If you're familiar with dpatch, go with it. There just are two good
reasons imho to switch to quilt:
a) the new source package format uses natively quilt and making use of
   quilt makes it easier to migrate;
b) you can avoid declaring target dependencies (patch, unpatch) in
   debian/rules as quilt (>= 0.46-7) provides a dh7 sequence addon:

%:
    dh $@ --with quilt

> Thank you in advance,

You're welcome. Thanks for participating in Debian! I await your
repsonse :)

Hauke

PS: no need to CC me.