Re: RFS: gip (updated package, adopting, 2nd try)

Hello Hauke,

>>> Good to see some adoptions from time to time. :) Do you use gip
>>> regularly or is it just general interest in Gnome packages?
>>
>> I can't say that I use gip on a daily basis, but I used it a couple of
>> times. So I decided to take a look at the source package, and I ended
>> up ITA-ing it.
>
> I was basially checking if doing this for fun or for a reason. Nothing
> against fun, just doing something for a reason helps keeping up with the
> reponsibilities sometimes.

My aim is to help the Debian project. I will be doing my best to keep
up with these responsibilities.

>> > You could however simplify debian/rules by using dh7 features. You
>> > switched to dh7 without the big benefits. What would you say?
>>
>> I have updated the debian/rules. I would be glad to have your feedback on this.
>
> Well, you achieved to have a smaller debian/rules already (which is not
> our goal, but readability for instance is). It seems to me you either
> have a misunderstanding of the override_* targets or you're being overly
> carefull. There is no need for dh_testdir (and absolutely no sense in
> dh_prep) in such targets as they are by definition run during a dh
> sequence which always includes such commands if neccessary.

I have corrected the override_dh_auto_install part in the debian/rules
file, removing the dh_testdir and dh_prep calls.

> If you're familiar with dpatch, go with it. There just are two good
> reasons imho to switch to quilt:
> a) the new source package format uses natively quilt and making use of
>   quilt makes it easier to migrate;
> b) you can avoid declaring target dependencies (patch, unpatch) in
>   debian/rules as quilt (>= 0.46-7) provides a dh7 sequence addon:
>
> %:
>    dh $@ --with quilt

Thank you for this tip! I have updated the package to use quilt
instead of dpatch.

>> Thank you in advance,
>
> You're welcome. Thanks for participating in Debian! I await your
> repsonse :)

Thank you again for this.

I have re-uploaded the package on m.d.n [1].

Regards,
 Ignace Mouzannar

[1] The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
main contrib non-free
- dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gip/gip_1.7.0-1-1.dsc