Re: non-native package versions

On Wednesday 01,July,2009 02:23 AM, Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier wrote:
> The problem we have right now is that we don't really use tarballs for
> release our apps. We have some packages that we maintain on our VCS
> system, we build them from a buildbot[1] with some custom scripts and
> then we upload them with reprepro to our repository.
I say just do tarball releases. They can't be that hard to do, right?
Just identify snapshots of the history that are stable enough for
widespread usage, and then tarball it using one of the methods I
highlighted in my previous post. Anyway, regarding your custom scripts..
are they for daily builds? They could be retained IMO, while doing a
tarball release at appropriate intervals.

> I know we need to chango some things on the packages to get them into
> Debian, but I would like to do it in a way that we still can use for
> our project.
> Is there any way to do all the *.orig.tgz stuff from the rules file?
> Maybe there is a way to keep the /debian directory in out VCS and
> generate the tarbal from the rules file before be checked if that
> exist.
> We are open to any idea :-)

You could write a get-orig-source rule in debian/rules for that purpose.
But that is complicated, unnecessary, and ugly. Like I've mentioned in
my previous post, there are projects (like smuxi) which keep the debian/
folder in their VCS, but release source tarballs without them, so that
they may be packaged in each distribution separately. I cannot see how
this would disrupt your existing workflow in any way.

--
Regards,
Chow Loong Jin