Re: non-native package versions

In <[🔎] 20090630183826.GF4159@hezmatt.org>, Matthew Palmer wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 07:23:38PM +0100, Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Chow Loong Jin<hyperair@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > You don't. You just have to release the tarball without it (the
>> > debian/ directory). I know of applications which have the debian/
>> > directory in the upstream source code, but generate tarballs without
>> > them.
>> The problem we have right now is that we don't really use tarballs for
>> release our apps.
>Well, you're going to have to fix that before you can get a Debian upload,
>at any rate.

Not really.  The .orig.tar.gz could be a VCS snapshot.  It just needs to be
named appropriately and (preferably) be reproducible if lost.

If upstream doesn't normally release tarballs, a get-orig-source target is
virtually mandatory since this package would be very hard to maintain
without it.

>You can't upload a VCS revision as a source package (yet).

Is this a thinly-veiled reference to the new source package format?  If it
is, do you know of any page on the Internet that gives the status of this
project?