Re: non-native package versions

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Chow Loong Jin<hyperair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01,July,2009 12:27 AM, Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier wrote:
>> [...]
>> And also a kind of retorical one (I guess I know already the
>> answer...), do I really need to separate the app code from the debian
>> packaging files? isn't there another option?
>> I guess we'll have to slit them :-/
> You don't. You just have to release the tarball without it (the debian/
> directory). I know of applications which have the debian/ directory in
> the upstream source code, but generate tarballs without them. If you use
> autotools, this is very easy. Just run `make dist' in the configured
> source directory. If you don't, well, you're on your own (hint: tar
> --exclude=debian if all else fails).

The problem we have right now is that we don't really use tarballs for
release our apps. We have some packages that we maintain on our VCS
system, we build them from a buildbot[1] with some custom scripts and
then we upload them with reprepro to our repository.

I know we need to chango some things on the packages to get them into
Debian, but I would like to do it in a way that we still can use for
our project.
Is there any way to do all the *.orig.tgz stuff from the rules file?
Maybe there is a way to keep the /debian directory in out VCS and
generate the tarbal from the rules file before be checked if that
exist.
We are open to any idea :-)

Cheers

[1] http://buildbot.net