non-native package versions

Hi :-)

Before nothing, sorry for my mistakes about mount-systray ackage and
the native and non-native packages. Your comments and the mentor's FAQ
help me a lot.

Well, I have one doubt about the version. What I understand from the
policy[1] is that for the package mount-systray, the version should be
something like:
mount-systray-0.5.3-1
uptream version = 0.5.3
debian version = 1

But then lintian tells me I need a *.orig.tgz (which I haven't) or if
I created a *.orig directory, then tells me the diff is empty and so
on. I (or actually we -> Guadalinex team) am upstream and we maintain
the code with the debian files all together. I know that it's better
not to do that and separate the code and the debian files, but, at
least by now, we have that way.

The thing is if I put the version like 'mount-systray-0.5.3debian1',
which I have seen in some packages, lintian doesn't say a word.

My question is, what is the difference between both version ways?

And also a kind of retorical one (I guess I know already the
answer...), do I really need to separate the app code from the debian
packaging files? isn't there another option?
I guess we'll have to slit them :-/

Thanks in advance for your time and your anwsers :-)
Cheers

[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version
--
Juanje