Re: non-native package versions

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith
Jr.<bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> (IANADD; TINASOTODP.)
> In <[🔎] 135eeb1d0906300927x47149b60x74e8194e76a175f1@mail.gmail.com>, Juan Jesús
> Ojeda Croissier wrote:
[...]
>>Well, I have one doubt about the version. What I understand from the
>>policy[1] is that for the package mount-systray, the version should be
>>something like:
>>mount-systray-0.5.3-1
>>uptream version = 0.5.3
>>debian version = 1
>>
>>But then lintian tells me I need a *.orig.tgz (which I haven't) or if
>>I created a *.orig directory, then tells me the diff is empty and so
>>on.
>
> $ pwd
> ~/my-new-package_0.4.5-1
> $ cd ..
> $ cp -Rl my-new-package_0.4.5-1 my-new-package_0.4.5.orig
> $ rm -rf my-new-package_0.4.5.orig/debian
>
> Now, you'll have a non-empty diff.

Yeah, that was what I did last time. This fixed my problem by now, but
it quite complex if you need to do it automatically. We use buildbot
with some custom scripts for builging all our packages and isos. But
it's another history...

> Remember, though, that 0.4.5-2 must be based on the same .orig.tar.gz and
> that you should avoid making changes outside of the debian directory in your
> .diff.gz.  If any changes are required, use a patch system.

Ok, we don't need that right now, but I'll keep in mind for the future. Thanks

>>I (or actually we -> Guadalinex team) am upstream and we maintain
>>the code with the debian files all together. I know that it's better
>>not to do that and separate the code and the debian files, but, at
>>least by now, we have that way.
>
> That happens.  It's even appropriate for you to maintain a debian/ directory
> in your VCS.  It should be kept out of the "release tarball", but the build
> system can handle it even if it isn't.

We like to maintain the /debian directory in our VCS and we don't
release tarballs, so this way is actually a bit forced for us, but I
guess we could use bzr-builddeb or try to split it...

>>The thing is if I put the version like 'mount-systray-0.5.3debian1',
>>which I have seen in some packages, lintian doesn't say a word.
>
> That would still be a native package by my reckoning, which is not what is
> appropriate for this package.

Ok, I didn't find any reference at the policy about it and I didn't
know the difference. Thanks a lot :-)

>>[D]o I really need to separate the app code from the debian
>>packaging files? isn't there another option?
>
> The other option is native packaging.  However, I think we've already
> covered why that isn't appropriate for this package.

Yes, now I know this can't be a native package :-)

Thanks guys :-)

--
Juanje