Re: non-native package versions

(IANADD; TINASOTODP.)

In <[🔎] 135eeb1d0906300927x47149b60x74e8194e76a175f1@mail.gmail.com>, Juan Jesús
Ojeda Croissier wrote:
>Hi :-)
>
>Before nothing, sorry for my mistakes about mount-systray ackage and
>the native and non-native packages. Your comments and the mentor's FAQ
>help me a lot.
>
>Well, I have one doubt about the version. What I understand from the
>policy[1] is that for the package mount-systray, the version should be
>something like:
>mount-systray-0.5.3-1
>uptream version = 0.5.3
>debian version = 1
>
>But then lintian tells me I need a *.orig.tgz (which I haven't) or if
>I created a *.orig directory, then tells me the diff is empty and so
>on.

$ pwd
~/my-new-package_0.4.5-1
$ cd ..
$ cp -Rl my-new-package_0.4.5-1 my-new-package_0.4.5.orig
$ rm -rf my-new-package_0.4.5.orig/debian

Now, you'll have a non-empty diff.

Remember, though, that 0.4.5-2 must be based on the same .orig.tar.gz and
that you should avoid making changes outside of the debian directory in your
.diff.gz.  If any changes are required, use a patch system.

>I (or actually we -> Guadalinex team) am upstream and we maintain
>the code with the debian files all together. I know that it's better
>not to do that and separate the code and the debian files, but, at
>least by now, we have that way.

That happens.  It's even appropriate for you to maintain a debian/ directory
in your VCS.  It should be kept out of the "release tarball", but the build
system can handle it even if it isn't.

>The thing is if I put the version like 'mount-systray-0.5.3debian1',
>which I have seen in some packages, lintian doesn't say a word.

That would still be a native package by my reckoning, which is not what is
appropriate for this package.

>[D]o I really need to separate the app code from the debian
>packaging files? isn't there another option?

The other option is native packaging.  However, I think we've already
covered why that isn't appropriate for this package.