Re: non-native package versions

Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier schrieb:
> Hi :-)
>
> Before nothing, sorry for my mistakes about mount-systray ackage and
> the native and non-native packages. Your comments and the mentor's FAQ
> help me a lot.
>
> Well, I have one doubt about the version. What I understand from the
> policy[1] is that for the package mount-systray, the version should be
> something like:
> mount-systray-0.5.3-1
> uptream version = 0.5.3
> debian version = 1

Yes.

> But then lintian tells me I need a *.orig.tgz (which I haven't) or if
> I created a *.orig directory, then tells me the diff is empty and so
> on. I (or actually we -> Guadalinex team) am upstream and we maintain
> the code with the debian files all together. I know that it's better
> not to do that and separate the code and the debian files, but, at
> least by now, we have that way.

You have, it is the src tarball. It has to be named this way:
<source_package_name>_<upstream_version>.orig.tar.gz

e.g.:
mount-systray_0.5.3.orig.tar.gz

> The thing is if I put the version like 'mount-systray-0.5.3debian1',
> which I have seen in some packages, lintian doesn't say a word.
>
> My question is, what is the difference between both version ways?

Because it is a native version, it hasn't got a debian revision, which
starts with the _last_ '-'.

> And also a kind of retorical one (I guess I know already the
> answer...), do I really need to separate the app code from the debian
> packaging files? isn't there another option?

There is, but it is wrong and it will not get uploaded.

> I guess we'll have to slit them :-/
>
> Thanks in advance for your time and your anwsers :-)
> Cheers
>
> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

- --
/*
Mit freundlichem Gruß / With kind regards,
 Patrick Matthäi
 GNU/Linux Debian Developer

E-Mail: pmatthaei@debian.org
        patrick@linux-dev.org