Re: RFS: gnus -- A versatile news and mail reader for Emacsen

Tommi Vainikainen <thv+debian@iki.fi> writes:

> a short time ago I noticed that the world's best mail and newsreader,
> Gnus, is up for adoption.
>
> I'd be willing to become maintainer of this package. I've been using
> Gnus for ten years, and for a couple of last years I've already been
> using self-compiled version of Gnus to fix compatibility with GNU
> Emacs 22 (with patches from BTS).
>
> I've prepared now packages for latest upstream release, and uploaded
> that to mentors.

Just to double-check: did you already know the background on this?  The
gnus Debian package is not really recommended for most users.  Most
users of Gnus are probably better off not installing the gnus Debian
package and instead using the version that comes with Emacs.

There was some discussion of whether the package should just be removed,
although there is some merit to keeping a package of the newer code
available to people who specifically need newer versions.