Re: RFS: blueman

Christopher Schramm wrote:
> Jelle de Jong wrote:
>> Would it not be better to improver bluez-gnome? or work with the
>> bluez-gnome developers and choice one project to officially support. I
>> think all the missing features that bluez-gnome does not bring will be on
>> the developers todo list for bluez-gnome. I am afraid for segmentation
>> and supplicated efforts.
>
> I don't know what has been the initial reason for bluez-gnome.
> Personally I don't think it's up to the bluez team to provide a GUI,
> they should better have put the efforts in their command line tools, as
> you remarked. In my eyes bluez-gnome is neither highly developed nor
> necessary... ...and it's name is quite unfavorable. Maybe the bluez team
> would quit bluez-gnome in favor of blueman since it's just superior (not
> sure, but I wouldn't expect things in bluez-gnome that could be brought
> to blueman, so a merge makes no sense), but that's up to them and not my
> or the blueman upstream's cup of tea.
> Of course Debian can quit support for bluez-gnome, but I wouldn't remind
> that, since it's never a bad idea to give the user a choice and it's
> somehow bound to the bluez package.
>
> Anyway, whatever the right strategy to enhance (desktop independent)
> bluetooth GUIs should be, blueman definitely brings many advantages and
> outplays its alternatives so it has to be shown to developers and users.
> I think it's absolutely reasonable to add it to Debian.
>
> So I'm still looking for a sponsor! ;-)

I agree this package is welcome in debian, somebody fancy to sponser?

I just read this:
http://www.hadess.net/2009/02/we-have-fork.html

hadess is one of the bluez developers and somehow they decided (without
any mails on the linux-bluetooth mailinglist) to start a fork of the
bluez-gnome and start gnome-bluetooth.

I have absolute no idea what the heck is going on here, so maybe its time
to start a new thread on the linux-bluetooth@vger.kernel.org mailinglist.
There was a question: "What happened with bluez-gnome development?" on
the mailinglist but it was not answered.

Could you please start a good discussion on the linux-bluetooth
mailinglist, the list is for both users as developers.

Thanks in advance,

Jelle de Jong