Re: RFS: dhcp-probe, another try to request with a lot of update

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 01:37:48PM +0100, Laurent Guignard wrote:
> I have another question about architecture :
> How is it possible to check if a package could be built on architecture
> without the appropriate hardware ?
> I can say that dhcp-probe could be build on i386 and any compatible
> architectures and with the upstream notes, i can say that dhcp-probe
> could be built on sparc but how to test on other architectures ?

You don't test it yourself.  When it's uploaded with Arch: any, it gets
built on all architectures.  If the build fails, you'll be notified of it
(via a bug).  Those bugs then get fixed.  If it builds, but fails to run
properly on an arch, then someone will find that out and lodge a bug too.

> >> The /etc/default/dhcp-probe directory is used to store all configuration
> >> files needed (one for each interface on which dhcp-probe is used). I
> >> thought that it was the best solution instead of spreading all
> >> configuration files directly in /etc.
> >
> > dh_installinit will automatically put a default file in place if
> > asked nicely.  See the appropriate man page for more details.
>
> Yes, dh_installinit will automatically put *a* default file in place.
> As you noticed, it place *A* default file.
> That i would like to do, is to place at least one file and i doesn't
> know how many because it depends of the number of network interfaces the
> host on which the package is installed has !

Uhm... no.  That's not how it's done.  /etc/default/<file> is a shell
fragment that configures the operation of /etc/init.d/<file>.  /etc/default
is not a place for random config junk because you don't want to mkdir
/etc/<package>.

I repeat: DO NOT put your package's general config data in /etc/default. Put
all that configuration data in /etc/dhcp-probe.  If the init scripts for the
package are currently structured such that there is one init script per
configured interface, someone needs to learn to use for loops.

- Matt