Re: RFS: dhcp-probe, another try to request with a lot of update

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:38:53 +0100
Laurent Guignard <lguignard.debian@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It has to build on sparc, you are required to ensure that it does by
> > fixing any FTBFS bugs that appear and those will provide a lot of
> > the information you need to fix the bug. In that case, your sponsor
> > can help you test the package on the actual hardware.
> >

> On the upstream README file, Irwin said that :
> "This version runs on Solaris 9 on SPARC, compiled with gcc."
> So for me, dhcp-probe could be built on this platform.
> I haven't any possibility to test the package on this type of
> architecture and i haven't any assigned sponsor too.

Your eventual sponsor has all the access necessary to build and test
the package - you don't need to worry about that, you just fix the bugs
that result (with the help of your sponsor).

Your task is merely to ensure that the package will build on all
architectures supported by Debian with or without any confirmation or
statements from upstream. Your package must build on all architectures
where the dependencies can be met - you do not have that choice. It
must be built and you must fix the bugs that may appear (feeding the
results back upstream) with the help of your sponsor. There is no
getting out of it - dhcp-probe must build on all architectures where
the dependencies can be met. (It is just as unacceptable to "create"
dependencies that would artificially restrict the package to particular
architectures. That is a misuse of Policy.) If you do not do this, the
package might never be sponsored and may still be rejected by
ftp-master.

If you want this package in Debian, *you* are responsible for fixing
bugs that arise on all architectures supported by Debian, whether or
not upstream have any support for those architectures. Debian will
provide all the tools and resources necessary for your sponsor to help
you with this task but it is still your task and you cannot avoid it.

> If anyone want to sponsor me but i am not sure to want to follow all
> steps of the Debian New Maintainer process.

In that case, I will not sponsor you.
http://people.debian.org/~codehelp/#join

> I am not sure to have
> enough time to assume this task. But i am sure to have enough time to
> contribute with one or two packages. May be after i seen the amount of
> time needed i could follow the Debian New Maintainer process...
>
> But i always need a sponsor for dhcp-probe package ;)

Other sponsors have different requirements but my requirements include
that maintainers must be intending to join Debian via the New
Maintainer process. For me, sponsoring is a means to an end - getting
more people into Debian. (I don't care about whether we get more
packages out of it, in fact I think Debian has quite enough packages
already - hence I look more for RFS relating to existing packages.)

--

Neil Williams