Re: RFS: swedish (updated ispell and spell packages)

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
--cut--

Hi,

> > The package is still recognized as Debian native, simply because there's
> > only a tar.gz, without a diff.gz. It's not sufficient to change the
> > version number to 1.4.5-2, you need to create a tarball *without* the
> > debian/ directory, call it 1.4.5, add the debian/ directory again and run
> > dpkg-source. This way, you will get a diff.gz.
>
> I don't understand. How do I create a diff.gz? (I know how to use
> diff, but what is this a diff of? Two different tarballs?)

It is a diff between the original_upstream_source_directory/ and the
debianized_tree/ (i.e. upstream_dir/ + debian/ inside). Since you have
orig.tar.gz and the debianized tree (upstream_name-x.y + your own debian/
inside) dpkg-source is able to create such diff.gz:

dpkg-source -b upstream_namedir-x.y

> > > Done.
> >
> > You converted it to ASCII. Please use UTF-8, use e.g. iconv for that.
> > Also, you've removed your own copyright statement for the Debian
> > packaging.
>
> Added my copyright statement back, changed to UTF-8 using
> iconv. The `file` command is still saying ASCII however.

Since UTF-8 is a superset of ASCII and there are only ASCII characters inside
your copyright, therefore file reports ASCII text. However, UTF-8 being a
variable length encoding can use more than one (1 to 4 bytes) for each
character, depending on the character; for instance had characters like greek
letters or german umlauts been in the file (where more than one byte per
character is used), `file' wouldn't be reporting ASCII text.

> Not sure how
> to determine proper encoding.

There is no universal method to determine that, that's why iconv
has --from-code ;-) In that case, your copyright file is a valid ASCII as
well as valid UTF-8.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB