Re: RFS: swedish (updated ispell and spell packages)

On Monday 09 June 2008 15:32:30 Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> > - It seems to be common practice to use the phrase "Swedish dictionary
> > words for /usr/share/dict" as the package synopsis for wordlist packages,
> > i.e. wswedish. Also, the synopsis should not start with "The" or "A(n)",
> > so please remove that word from the synopsis of iswedish as well.
>
> Done.

Hi Jeremiah,

I've got another round of comments. :-) I didn't mean that you should remove
the long description from iswedish, please add that again. Also add the long
description for wswedish again. I meant that you should only change the
single line description, the synopsos.

> > > The upload would fix these bugs: 156532, 186072
> >
> > - You seem to have forgotten to include the patch for #186072.
>
> Included in debian/patches (using quilt).

Hm, you don't actually run quilt during the package build. However, you've
applied the patch before building the package, so in effect, the patch is
applied. Please note that this is not how quilt is generally supposed to be
used, though. Anyway, since you're packaging a new "upstream" version, I
think that you should apply that patch and create a new upstream tarball with
it. Afterwards, you can drop the Build-Depends on quilt.

> > - I don't think that the package should be Debian native. Please change
> > this to separate upstream's and Debian's revision numbers. As there is a
> > bug fix in the upstream part, I suggest you use 1.4.5-1.
>
> I did not mean for it to be debian native, I will add the -1.

The package is still recognized as Debian native, simply because there's only
a tar.gz, without a diff.gz. It's not sufficient to change the version number
to 1.4.5-2, you need to create a tarball *without* the debian/ directory,
call it 1.4.5, add the debian/ directory again and run dpkg-source. This way,
you will get a diff.gz.

> > - Convert debian/copyright to UTF-8
>
> Done.

You converted it to ASCII. Please use UTF-8, use e.g. iconv for that. Also,
you've removed your own copyright statement for the Debian packaging.

As a general remark, please add all those changes to debian/changelog, that's
what it's for.

> > And one minor nitpick: The package uses ISO-8859-1 for some directory and
> > file names. This puts some obstacles in the way of sponsors which do not
> > use that encoding on their system. If at all possible, you could try to
> > replace non-ASCII characters with an ASCII equivalent. In German, we can
> > use "ae" for "ä" and so on, however, I don't know if this is possible
> > for Swedish characters.
>
> Hmm. This sounds important, but I am not as familiar as I should be
> with ISO fonts. In English, they do use "oe" in place of "Ã" for
> example so the process of moving from non-ASCII to ASCII seems to
> have precedent. The problem is that much of this work would have to
> be checked by hand, or at least a large enough sample to ensure that
> the conversion of non-ASCII to ASCII succeeded. Swedish words make
> extensive use of their three separate, Swedish-only vowels so this
> might be a challenge.

I think that's a misunderstanding. I don't want you to change the contents of
the word lists, those are fine with the ISO-8859-1 encoding. What I meant are
the file and directory names, e.g. Fackspråk.j (don't know if the character
gets mangled while sending the mail, it is an "a" with a circle above it).

Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Toedter   | The following statement is not true.
Hamburg, Germany | The previous statement is true.