Re: Custom Debian package installation

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 09:35:53PM +1000, David Schulberg wrote:
> So how can I actually check in my initscript that it is running
> during the installation process so I can skip the start of my
> service at that time?

You wouldn't. You'd add some intelligence to your initscript to
detect that the service hasn't been appropriately configured yet
(such as looking for a particular line in the config that would
always exist but always be changed from its default value), or by
having the initscript source a file your package provides in the
/etc/default directory which has an autostart=0 line (or similar)
and then use that variable in a conditional statement in the start
function of your initscript. There are many official packages in
Debian whose initscripts either won't automatically start a daemon
until it is configured, or won't start a daemon until you edit
/etc/default/something and reset a variable from 0 to 1. Finding
examples of these is left as an exercise for the reader (hint, look
in /etc/default on any Debian machine).

> At the moment my postinst file looks like this:

As it should. More importantly, what does your initscript look like?

(Also, please don't Cc me--I read the list.)
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);