From: The Fungi [mailto:fungi@yuggoth.org]
Sent: Monday, 7 April 2008 8:38 AM
To: debian-mentors@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Custom Debian package installation

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 07:43:34AM +1000, David Schulberg wrote:
> I have a Debian package which starts a service set up by having
> ‘dh_installinit’ in my rules file.
>
> I want the service to start every time my computer boots up.
>
> Does it also have to fire up straight after I install the package?
>
> I have a configuration file that is part of my package which needs
> to be customised before I run the service that  is installed by
> the package so I don’t want to run the service until I have done
> that.

The way this is usually tackled is to either have the initscript
refuse to start the service if not yet configured (but still exit
with an okay return value so package installation succeeds), or ship
a file in /etc/default/ sourced by the initscript and containing a
switch variable to make the initscript's start function a no-op
(until edited to turn it on).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);