Re: Custom Debian package installation

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008, David Schulberg wrote:
> I have a configuration file that is part of my package which needs
> to be customised before I run the service that is installed by the
> package so I don't want to run the service until I have done that.

If everyone who installs this package is going to want the service
running, then you should try to figure out a default configuration
that works well enough and is conservative enough to start once the
package has been installed initially.

The only case where you shouldn't start the daemon are cases where
there are substantial number of install where the daemon should not be
started (like spamassassin) or where you can't possibly find a default
configuration (this latter case is rare, and you should be asking
questions using debconf to overcome it anyway.)

Don Armstrong

--
THERE IS NO GRAVITY THE WORLD SUCKS
 -- Vietnam War Penquin Lighter