Re: RFS: pinot

David Paleino wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:21:13 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:

>> A few more comments:
>> 1.) debian/patches/01-fix_pinot.desktop.patch
>> The desktop file seems to be correctly encoded in UTF-8, so removing the
>>  Encoding line seems wrong to me.
>> Could you elaborate why this patch is necessary.
> It's been deprecated from the freedesktop.org specification:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/apc.html
> /---
> | The Encoding key is deprecated. It was used to specify whether keys of type
> | localestring were encoded in UTF-8 or in the specified locale. Possible values
> | are UTF-8 and Legacy-Mixed. See Appendix D, The Legacy-Mixed Encoding
> | (Deprecated) for more details.
> \---

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't know that actually.
Seems, we have a lot of outdated .desktop files in Debian then ;-)

> Done. I've called it deskbar-plugins-pinot (as there is already a
> "deskbar-plugins-strigi", for a similar project).
>> You should consider using python-support or python-central to install
>> (and precompile)
>> /usr/lib/deskbar-applet/modules-2.20-compatible/pinot-module.py.
> Done, thanks.
> I've used python-support. Is there any difference between using the two
> packages you mentioned? I don't know why, I've always used python-support, and
> I can't find anything on the net (still googling, though).

Using python-support or python-central is a matter of taste. Afaik
python-central is used more often in Ubuntu, python-support is more
common in Debian.

# apt-cache rdepends python-support | wc -l
# apt-cache rdepends python-central | wc -l

Both do their job. So if you used python-support before and you know it,
there is no reason to use python-central instead.

>> The directory /usr/lib/deskbar-applet/handlers/ is not used anymore by
>> deskbar-applet, so installing pinot-live.py is superfluous.
> I've moved it to modules-2.20-compatible/.

I had the impression that /usr/lib/deskbar-applet/handlers/pinot-live.py
was for deskbar-applet < 2.20 and
for deskbar-applet >= 2.20 (which is in sid/lenny). Trying to load
pinot-live.py with deskbar-applet >= 2.20 results in

ERROR    Error loading the file:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/deskbar/core/ModuleLoader.py",
line 97, in import_module
    mod = pydoc.importfile (filename)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/pydoc.py", line 240, in importfile
    raise ErrorDuringImport(path, sys.exc_info())
ErrorDuringImport: problem in
/usr/lib/deskbar-applet/modules-2.20-compatible/pinot-live.py -
ImportError: No module named Handler

So, you shouldn't move it and just remove it instead.

universe are pointed away from Earth?