Re: SVN snapshot versioning

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 01:59:32PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:28:10 -0500
> "Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:
>
> > Right.  However, I think we are rapidly approaching overkill in this
> > discussion.  How about this:
> >
> >   * the version string includes the date
>
> I still see no reason for any package built from svn to include the
> date in any version string. It just makes it look like the DD doesn't
> understand how SVN differs from CVS.

Right, and I would see it as the DD being "superior" to the user by
including something that might make no sense to the user.

> >   * the changelog mentions the exact rev
>
> Wrong way around, IMHO. The ChangeLog normally includes dates, as does
> debian/changelog ('changelog' is ambiguous in this context) - it may
> include svn 'r' strings too but, primarily, ChangeLog uses dates and
> debian/changelog does not support anything but dates as timestamps.

I meant as an actual entry.  Something like this:

 * updated to r4387 from svn

> Take a look at gnucash - it outputs the svn 'r' number in the
> splashscreen and in the Help:About. A snapshot of gnucash would
> definitely need to use 2.0.2~r14542 - there's no place for a date when
> the package itself declares itself by means of svn 'r' numbers.

If that is the pattern used by upstream, that is fine.  I think lots of
proprietary software packages do that as well.  Something like version
2.0.1.5236, where 5236 represents a way to identify the exact revision
in the developer's source control system.  Of course, most show the
version without that to avoid confusing users.

> It is trivial to retrieve the svn number from the checked out working
> copy during the build and therefore make a completely automated
> snapshot that incorporates the 'r12356' into any portion of the build.

I don't see how this makes things easier for the end user.  By the end
user, I mean someone who is just interested in getting and installing a
package.  Somebody wanting to customize/recompile/whatever will be able
to figure it out.

Regards,

-Roberto

--