Re: SVN snapshot versioning

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 12:40:21PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> Not true. You cannot reliably ensure that a commit at 11:50:00 -0500 is
> actually part of your daily snapshot without specifying your timezone
> in the snapshot date, i.e. creating a full UTC timestamp in the version
> string. Many free software developers are most active in the evening
> (in their timezone) so this problem occurs frequently.
>
> The svn 'r' system is specifically designed to cope with this
> inadequacy of CVS - it is, IMHO, crazy to dump it for imprecise and
> inaccurate 'date' strings. Using a full UTC timestamp is even worse -
> far too messy.
>
> Looking up an 'r' number is as trivial as putting "svn r12314 project"
> into google. I really don't see what could possibly be easier.

Right.  However, I think we are rapidly approaching overkill in this
discussion.  How about this:

  * the version string includes the date
  * the changelog mentions the exact rev

No ambiguity.  Someone interested in the source would (or should) have
the wherewithal to look at the changelog or other documentation if he
considers there to be some sort of ambiguity.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez