Re: RFS: daloRADIUS - Advanced RADIUS Web Management Application

Hi, Liran...

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 09:22:33AM +0200, liran tal wrote:
> On 9/24/07, Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 09:56:57AM +0200, liran tal wrote:
>     > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "daloradius".
>     >
>     > * Package name    : daloradius
>     >   Version         : 0.9.3
>     >   Upstream Author : Liran Tal < liran@enginx.com>
>     > * URL             : http://sourceforge.net/projects/daloradius
>
>     This URL is not mentioned in debian/copyright and/or debian/control.
>
> I will add the webpage address to the debian/copyright.
> Is there a webpage tag to add in the debian/control file or should I simply
> add it to the description?

At the end of the description with two spaces as indentation. It's also
a good idea to use it as a control field. Concrete proposal:

Source: daloradius
Section: admin
Maintainer: Liran Tal <liran@enginx.com>
Standards-Version: 3.6.2          <--- this is outdated - please use 3.7.2
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.1.0)
Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/daloradius

Package: daloradius
Architecture: any
Depends: apache, php, php-db, php-pear
Suggests: freeradius (>= 1.1.0), php5-mysql
 application aimed at managing hotspots and general-purpose
 ISP deployments. daloRADIUS features user management,
 graphical reporting, accounting, a billing engine and
 integrates with GoogleMaps for geo-locating.
 .
  Homepage: http://sourceforge.net/projects/daloradius

Your "Description" should start with a one-line short description that
is shown in package lists. The lines beginning with the second line may
contain a longer description.

>     > The package can be found on mentors.debian.net:
>     > - Source repository: deb-src http://mentors.debian.net/debian unstable
>     main
>     > contrib non-free
>     > - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/d/daloradius/
>     > daloradius_0.9.3.dsc
>
>     The package just contains the "usr" directory from the upstream tarball.
>

> That's right.
> There is just the usr directory. The application is actually located
> on /usr/share/daloradius
> Is this not ok? should there be other directories?

Please read on the difference between "native" versus "non-native"
packages. Your package should contain an .orig.tar.gz which is basically
the tarball that you release and have your users download. Then you
start packaging your software by adding a debian/ directory. The various
tools like dpkg-buildpackage/debuild will create a Debian package and
move all the changes you did for the Debian package into a .diff.gz
file. That was it's much easier to find out if the orig.tar.gz matches
the official release of your software and what changes have been done to
create the Debian package from it.

> Right.
> I tried placing an orig.tar.gz tarball actually which contained the package
> but dpkg-source complained on some errors which I can't remember
> at the moment but at that time it seemed that I was simply doing
> something wrong.

Perhaps. dh_make will print out warnings if it doesn't find the
orig.tar.gz in the right place.

> I did find it somewhat cumbersome to get this package as it is to build
> with as little lintian warnings and errors as possible.
> Though Debian-Love is always present in my heart :-)

:)

>     Since you are also the upstream I suggest you
>     ask a fellow Debian developer to create the package for you. Or file a
>     WNPP "bug" to find someone to create a package (`reportbug wnpp`).
>
> Uhmm, I will check the 'reportbug wnpp' indeed although I thought
> that this would be the place to get the package sponsored - i.e receiving
> help from a Debian maintainer/developer to help build this package and
> upload it to Debian's repositories.

My intent when suggesting this was not to discourage you from creating
the Debian package. Packaging work is just non-intuitive at the
beginning and it's often faster to find someone who is familiar with it.
But I'd even more welcome it if you learned the last subtle details of
packaging. :) I really didn't mean to offend.

I'd suggest you spend some time with these documents btw:

http://www.us.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html
http://www.us.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

Cheers
 Christoph
--
Peer review means that you can feel better because someone else
missed the problem, too.