Re: RFS: daloRADIUS - Advanced RADIUS Web Management Application

On 9/25/07, Christoph Haas <haas@debian.org> wrote:
Hi, Liran...

At the end of the description with two spaces as indentation. It's also
a good idea to use it as a control field. Concrete proposal:

Your "Description" should start with a one-line short description that
is shown in package lists. The lines beginning with the second line may
contain a longer description.

Thanks I have corrected these issues.

> That's right.
> There is just the usr directory. The application is actually located
> on /usr/share/daloradius
> Is this not ok? should there be other directories?

Please read on the difference between "native" versus "non-native"
packages. Your package should contain an .orig.tar.gz which is basically
the tarball that you release and have your users download. Then you
start packaging your software by adding a debian/ directory. The various
tools like dpkg-buildpackage/debuild will create a Debian package and
move all the changes you did for the Debian package into a .diff.gz
file. That was it's much easier to find out if the orig.tar.gz matches
the official release of your software and what changes have been done to
create the Debian package from it.

> I tried placing an orig.tar.gz tarball actually which contained the package
> but dpkg-source complained on some errors

Perhaps. dh_make will print out warnings if it doesn't find the
orig.tar.gz in the right place.

Alright so it seems the last thing to resolve is this native package issue...
I will try first to put my original package tarball (renamed to orig.tar.gz) in the
outer directory to where I build the package and give it another shot.

I have some questions regarding the package building though which concerns
the orig.tar.gz I think...
The way I build the package is having in the daloradius-0.9.3/ directory the debian/
and the usr/ directories where the usr/ occupies in the full path of usr/share/daloradius
my package files (the php stuff and everything). in debian/rules what I do is cp daloradius-0.9.3 /usr
to daloradius-0.9.3/debian/usr
Is this ok? I'm asking because I think that having the orig.tar.gz makes dpkg-source think that
it's suppose to copy it over to the daloradius-0.9.3/debian dir but I'm not entirely sure.

My intent when suggesting this was not to discourage you from creating
the Debian package. Packaging work is just non-intuitive at the
beginning and it's often faster to find someone who is familiar with it.
But I'd even more welcome it if you learned the last subtle details of
packaging. :) I really didn't mean to offend.

Indeed it is easier to find someone to "do the job" and I would probably
not be offended if one of the maintainers around here would take it on himself
to build the package for me and upload it to Debian to save me the time of
grasping everything as long as I later learn how the packaging process is done
so I can later build package myself and help others, new debian-comers to deal
with such issues themselves. (Also, I've put it on my mind that once I get this
package built I'm definitely putting an *updated* step by step guide to building
a pacakge as I can stress how important that is.

I'd suggest you spend some time with these documents btw:

http://www.us.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html
http://www.us.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

I did give the new maintainers guide a try although the document I think
misses the point in through-out the text. Just my note on it, but I think
it's way too much theoretical and doesn't provide actual examples and
hands-on experience. This is why I think new maintainers find it hard
to package. Plus, there is too much documentation out there which is
out-dated and talks about tools like deb-make or alike which causes
very much confusion and you end up feeling like a mouse in a maze.

Thanks alot for all the feedback and help!

Regards,
Liran.