SOLVED: Re: Strange problem with upstream sources (needing to repackage?)

Hi, Adeodato.

Thank you very much for the instructions.

On Jul 17 2007, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Rogério Brito [Mon, 16 Jul 2007 04:15:02 -0300]:
> > Should I maintain it in disagreement with the Debian Policy?
>
> You really can't do that, nothing will work.

Ok.

> > So, again my question: should I repackage the upstream sources? And if
> > so, how should that be done,
>
> You should not repacakge the tarball, but just rename it:
>
>   % mv diskdev_cmds-332.tar.gz diskdev-cmds_332.orig.tar.gz

My fear was that the package, which unpacks by default in a directory
named diskdev_cmds-332 were created.

Fortunately, I solved this problem with the use of dpkg-source -x and a
proper .dsc file, so, now, everything is pristine upstream, with just
the tarball being renamed and nothing else. Thanks to Gerfried for
helping me with this.

The other changes were done by patches with quilt (which is an
impressive tool).

>   (Assuming that the version number is 332).

Yes, it is, but I discovered, the package with version 332.14 from
upstream.

> Also, you have to name your source package "diskdev-cmds" (or some other
> Policy-compliant name), not "diskdev_cmds", that is not possible.

I named the package hfsprogs. I hope that this is acceptable.

> HTH, good luck.

Thank you very much, Rogério Brito.