Re: RFS: enblend

On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:04:57PM +0200, daddel9@nebuk.de wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 12:15:03AM +0200, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> >   - The files under src/win32helpers are released under the 4-clause BSD
> > 	license which is incompatible with the GPL. Thus distributing them as part
> > 	of a GPL'ed program is illegal - the .orig.tar.gz should be repackaged to
> > 	not include those files (they are only needed under Windows anyway) and
> > 	'+dfsg' should be added to the version number.
>
> Okay, i removed those files. Adding +dfsg to the version number means
> that the package is modified to comply, right? But why is it done then -
> i thought every package in main has to comply with dfsg, so its clear
> that the packages in main either comply or are modified to comply by the
> packager. (don't get me wrong - i dont put adding +dfsg in question, i
> just want to understand why its done ;P).

It's to make it clear, from the very outset, that what you're getting in the
Debian .orig.tar.gz isn't quite the same as what you're getting by
downloading the upstream tarball.  People tend to expect (to the point of
using the Debian mirrors as a kind of upstream source mirror!) that the
.orig.tar.gz is identical to upstream's release.  The +dfsg just makes it
clear, by modifying the upstream version number a bit, that that isn't the
case.

- Matt