Re: Copyright issues GPL-PHP license

On Sun, 6 May 2007 13:22:34 -0300
"Alex Queiroz" <asandroq@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> On 5/6/07, Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I also share Vorlon's opinion about the package as a whole:
> >
> > > In addition, the concept of a webserver written entirely in PHP is
> > > utterly abominable, an example of total programming putrifaction.  I
> > > expect this code to be so inherently unmaintainable that its very
> > > presence would warrant an RC bug.  As a DD and as a user of PHP, I
> > > would ask that this package not be uploaded to Debian.
> >

>      This is a very sad opinion. Is Debian censoring programming languages now?

No, but there is no reason to add packages to Debian that are
inherently bad for Debian. An RC bug would be warranted against any
upload of nanoweb, IMHO. I would also be happy to consider seeking the
removal of such a package should it be uploaded (and get through
incoming), whether the copyright issues are resolved or not.

If Ubuntu want nanoweb they are welcome to it. I see no reason to haul
this excuse of a package into Debian. I write PHP, I like PHP - within
limits - but I can honestly say I have never come across a more
inappropriate use of PHP than nanoweb. What's next, a PHP kernel?

This isn't about PHP, it isn't about copyright, it is simply a bad
package that was badly thought out and badly implemented with the wrong
design in mind. The idea of a web server written in PHP is ludicrous.

Debian should and does censor daft programming. Just because you can,
does not mean you should.

--

Neil Williams