yada generated deb not calling update-menus

I (novice deb builder) am building a deb with yada (and pbuilder) on
Etch.  I don't have any problems getting a sensible /usr/share/menu
entry put in place, but it doesn't actually seem to appear in any menus
until I do a manual sudo update-menus (or install some other package
which triggers a menu update itself).

When I look at the postinst file in my yada-generate deb then the only
thing of note is:

if [ "" = "configure" ] && [ -x "`which update-menus 2>/dev/null`" ];
then update-menus; fi

...which clearly isn't ever going to do anything!
But I can't figure out what's needed to get yada to (presumably) put
whatever's needed into those empty quotes so that the configure step
will call update-menus.

You can see my whole deb-building script at
http://fracplanet.cvs.sourceforge.net/fracplanet/fracplanet/mkdeb?revision=1.15&view=markup
the yada input is setup in the cat<<EOF scope at lines ~60-100.

Thanks for any help
Tim