Re: RFS: liferea 1.0.27-2 [Upgrading problems]

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 10:39:28PM -0600, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
> [Note: I updated the package to backport a patch from 1.2.5, which
> both a reporter and upstream agree should close #379900. Please, if you
> deem the package uploadable, do grab the new version first, from the
> same URL:
>  http://www.nul-unu.com/quien/rodrigo/debian/liferea/liferea_1.0.27-2.dsc
> ]

Done.

> root@caribdis:/# apt-get dist-upgrade
[...]
> The following packages have been kept back:
>   liferea
>
> But
>
> root@caribdis:/# aptitude dist-upgrade
[...]
> The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
>   liferea-gtkhtml
[...]
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   liferea-gtkhtml
>   libdb4.3 liferea
>
> (libdb4.3 gets upgraded because it's a two days old sid chroot :-)

It's interesting that aptitude does the right thing, but apt-get bombs out.
This reminds me of a long-past conversation about the differences between
the two programs, but I can't remember what the outcome was.

I've got a question on your transition decision, which I can't work out: you
got rid of the liferea-gtkhtml package completely, but the liferea-mozilla
package is a stub.  Why not either get rid of liferea-mozilla or leave
liferea-gtkhtml as a stub as well?  After all, if liferea-gtkhtml is a stub
package, then the upgrade works fine as liferea-xulrunner gets pulled in as
expected.  Certainly, no amount of jiggering around with
Conflicts/Replaces/Provides and reading Policy and the DevRef is solving the
problem for me -- I think the Conflicts/Replaces thing is really only
appropriate for renaming packages, rather than subsuming their capabilities
into an existing package.

- Matt