Re: Removing former conffiles

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> > The configuration file is the file from which the configuration is
> > read, that is, the file in /var/lib/blah which isn't in /etc.
[...]
> > 1: In the sense that they can't decide that using the conf.d is silly
> > and ship a single configuration file.
>
> Okay, I see your point. Generally I agree with you, although in the
> particular example, teTeX, your're wrong: They still can override
> the scheme.

Heh. There's a reason why we're talking about package 'blah' here. ;-)

> People who forgot (or never noticed) that the file is generated from
> files in conf.d will open /etc/texmf/bla.conf in their favorite
> editor, change the generated file without noticing, and will be
> surprised if the change is lost after the next package upgrade.

This should be an indication that you're not preserving administrator
changes to configuration files if this occurs...

> > A third option would be to build the conffile in /var/lib/blah,
> > and use ucf or similar to prompt for the difference betwen
> > /var/lib/blah and /etc/blah.
>
> Been there, done something similar. ucf is a nice workaround for a
> missing feature in dpkg, but it confuses users. I avoid it if I can.

I actually like ucf, but the point here is that it's another option
which is also policy compliant.

Don Armstrong

--
Dropping non-free would set us back at least, what, 300 packages? It'd
take MONTHS to make up the difference, and meanwhile Debian users will

And what about SHAREHOLDER VALUE?
 -- Matt Zimmerman in <gYuD3D.A.ayC.nGB39@murphy>