Re: Removing former conffiles

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
> > Just a word of caution here: If the administrator has modified the
> > file, you should not rename or move it, as they may know better
> > than you what they're doing. A proper course of action would be
> > warning them, and/or offering to remove the files in question via
> > debconf.
>
> If I know that the file will no longer be read at all, there's no
> point in pretending that it still have an effect. Renaming it makes
> this completely clear.

Right. The problem is that it's not always easy to know if the file
will no longer be read at all; you can't assume that the administrator
has left in place your default configuration system. [Likewise for
failure modes on the presence of an obsolete configuration file;
unless you know for certain that it will fail, you should give the
administrator some way to override your guess.]

Don Armstrong

--
A people living under the perpetual menace of war and invasion is very
easy to govern. It demands no social reforms. It does not haggle over