Re: Removing former conffiles

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006, Frank Küster wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Right. The problem is that it's not always easy to know if the file
> > will no longer be read at all; you can't assume that the administrator
> > has left in place your default configuration system.
>
> Of course the maintainer should know their package.  If the binary reads
> a configuration file in /usr/share/bla, and in the old version there was
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This would be a problem.

> a symlink from /usr/share/bla/bla.conf to /etc/bla/bla.conf, but now
> the file is generated from files in /etc/bla/conf.d, sits in
> /var/lib/bla, and the symlink points there, it's safe to assume that
> /etc/bla/bla.conf is unused.

The issue here is that you've suddenly changed the way the system
works, so perhaps the proper method is to move /etc/blah/bla.conf into
/etc/bla/conf.d/ instead; at the very least you should move the users
configuration away into a backup position or something rather than
deleting it if they have made changes.

> In some cases, yes. We have cases in teTeX where there are only two
> alternatives: Either accept the change, or not install the
> debianized package at all and go for /usr/local/ instead.

That seems like a bug to me; it may not be easy to fix in tetex, but
it's definetly not the ideal situtation for a package.

Don Armstrong

--
"The question of whether computers can think is like the question of
whether submarines can swim."