Re: What to do when a package fails to build on one arch ?

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 05:42:04PM +0200, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Hi Charles,
> On Sun, Jul 16, 2006 at 12:33:51AM +0900, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:
> > Dear mentors,
> >
> > I have two packages which fail to build on m68k. The reason for this is
> > obviously a bug in a math library.
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~igloo/status.php?email=debian-med-packaging%40lists.alioth.debian.org
> > http://bugs.debian.org/340871
> >
> > I think that what I will do is open a bug for each package in which I
> > explain that I will not do anything until 340871 is fixed, and block
> > them with by 340871.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, failing to build from source is a
> > release-critical severity. However, the packages are meant to do some
> > scientific computations, and I would be really astonished to hear that
> > somebody would use them on m68k. So if the bug in the math library is
> > not fixed by the freeze of testing, shall I drop m68k support for those
> > two packages ? Who shall I consult before doing this?
>
> If the package only FTBFS on m68k go and ask some m68k porters to
> investigate in the problem, or, if you have a debian account, ask
> debian-admin to install the build-deps on the according porter machine.
> (see http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi for more details).
>
> I CC'd debian-68k@l.d.o, so the get aware of your problem.

Thanks for the notice.

We are aware of the issue, and it is being worked on. The bug that
Charles mentioned above (#340871) was filed by a member of the m68k
porters team.

Since m68k is not currently a release candidate architecture, FTBFS on
m68k is not currently a release critical bug, so it should not impact
you too much; it will, for example, not impact testing migration
(however, as we're attempting to make it a release candidate
architecture again, prompt fixing of such bugs, where possible (not
here), would be appreciated).

Of course, if the packages can still not be built on m68k by the time
testing freezes, then it's okay to drop support for m68k. But if and
when that happens, all of Debian will drop support for m68k anyway,
since that means it won't be part of etch anymore, when that releases.

--
Fun will now commence